Basic white bread
- 3 teaspoon (10g) dried yeast
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) warm water
- 2 1/2 cup (275g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30 gram butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm milk
Basic white bread
- 1Whisk yeast, sugar and the water in a small bowl until yeast dissolves. Cover; stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- 2Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; stir in butter, milk and yeast mixture to a soft dough. Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough into an oiled large bowl. Cover; stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C. Oil a 10cm deep, 9cm x 15cm bread tin.
- 4Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a ball; place side-by-side in bread tin. Dust with a little extra flour. Cover; stand in a warm place for 20 minutes or until dough has risen.
- 5Bake bread for 45 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Bread can be frozen or as a whole loaf for up to three months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperToday 12:41am
- Protein and bliss ballsYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free dessertsMar 27, 2020
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 26, 2020
- The best Italian recipesMar 26, 2020
- The big chocolate cookieMar 26, 2020
- RatatouilleMar 26, 2020
- Quince pasteMar 26, 2020
- Classic recipe for chocolate mousseMar 25, 2020
- Osso buccoMar 25, 2020
- Apple crumbleMar 25, 2020
- Ginger sticky date puddingMar 25, 2020
- Delicious recipes to try in your Air FryerMar 25, 2020
- Easy baking recipesMar 25, 2020
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesMar 25, 2020