Basic white bread
- 3 teaspoon (10g) dried yeast
- 2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) warm water
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30 gram butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm milk
Basic white bread
- 1Whisk yeast, sugar and the water in a small bowl until yeast dissolves. Cover; stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- 2Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; stir in butter, milk and yeast mixture to a soft dough. Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough into an oiled large bowl. Cover; stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C. Oil a 10cm deep, 9cm x 22cm bread loaf tin.
- 4Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead for 1 minute or until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a ball; place side-by-side in bread tin. Dust with a little extra flour; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 20 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- 5Bake bread for 45 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Turn onto a wire rack to cool.
Bread can be frozen or as a whole loaf for up to three months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020