- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs (see tips)
- 500 gram sausage mince
- 500 gram minced (ground) beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 2 finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Combine onion, breadcrumbs, sausage mince and beef, egg, paste, sauce and parsley in a large bowl.
- 3Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways. Place equal amounts of filling mixture lengthways along centre of each pastry piece (see tips); roll each pastry piece, from one wide edge, to enclose filling. Cut each roll into six pieces; place rolls, seam-side down, on trays. Brush with extra egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 4Bake rolls for 25 minutes or until golden and puffed. Serve sausage rolls hot with tomato sauce or chutney, if you like.
To make stale breadcrumbs, use 2-3 day old bread and process in batches. An easy way to make sure that you get an equal amount of filling mixture in each sausage roll is to pipe it down the length of the pastry, using a piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain tube. Uncooked sausage rolls keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow an extra 5 minutes when baking from frozen.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021