- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs (see tips)
- 500 gram sausage mince
- 500 gram minced (ground) beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 2 finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Combine onion, breadcrumbs, sausage mince and beef, egg, paste, sauce and parsley in a large bowl.
- 3Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways. Place equal amounts of filling mixture lengthways along centre of each pastry piece (see tips); roll each pastry piece, from one wide edge, to enclose filling. Cut each roll into six pieces; place rolls, seam-side down, on trays. Brush with extra egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 4Bake rolls for 25 minutes or until golden and puffed. Serve sausage rolls hot with tomato sauce or chutney, if you like.
To make stale breadcrumbs, use 2-3 day old bread and process in batches. An easy way to make sure that you get an equal amount of filling mixture in each sausage roll is to pipe it down the length of the pastry, using a piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain tube. Uncooked sausage rolls keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow an extra 5 minutes when baking from frozen.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019