- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs (see tips)
- 500 gram sausage mince
- 500 gram minced (ground) beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 2 finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- 2Combine onion, breadcrumbs, sausage mince and beef, egg, paste, sauce and parsley in a large bowl.
- 3Cut pastry sheets in half lengthways. Place equal amounts of filling mixture lengthways along centre of each pastry piece (see tips); roll each pastry piece, from one wide edge, to enclose filling. Cut each roll into six pieces; place rolls, seam-side down, on trays. Brush with extra egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 4Bake rolls for 25 minutes or until golden and puffed. Serve sausage rolls hot with tomato sauce or chutney, if you like.
To make stale breadcrumbs, use 2-3 day old bread and process in batches. An easy way to make sure that you get an equal amount of filling mixture in each sausage roll is to pipe it down the length of the pastry, using a piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain tube. Uncooked sausage rolls keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow an extra 5 minutes when baking from frozen.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneYesterday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesYesterday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019