- 3½ cups (525g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tespoons caster sugar
- 40 g butter, chopped
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 1 cup (250ml) water, approximately
- 1Place a trivet in the base of a camp oven, if you have one; alternatively, the damper can be cooked directly on the base – you may need to elevate the oven further. Place the camp oven, elevated about 5cm, over hot coals to heat.
- 2Place flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Rub in the butter; stir in milk and enough of the water to form a sticky dough. Knead dough on a floured surface until just smooth. Press into a 16cm round.
- 3Cut a cross into top of dough, about 1cm deep. Sprinkle with a little extra flour. Place damper on trivet in camp oven.
- 4Place lid on camp oven. Place hot coals on oven lid; most of the heat should be on the lid so the base doesn't burn.
- 5Bake damper for 20 minutes, rotating oven occasionally. Elevate further or reduce the coals underneath if the damper is browning too quickly on the base. Replace the coals on the lid with hot coals. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until damper is golden and sounds hollow when tapped. Stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm