Banana caramel scrolls
- 1/4 cup (60ml) freshly brewed espresso coffee
- 1/3 cup (55g) sultanas
- 60 gram (2 ounces) butter, softened, extra
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cup (375g) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (100g) roasted walnuts, chopped coarsely
- 60 gram (2 ounces) cold butter, chopped finely
- 1 small overripe banana (140g)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk
- 140 gram (4½ ounces) canned caramel top 'n' fill
Banana caramel scrolls
- 1Combine hot coffee and sultanas in a heatproof bowl; stand 1 hour. Drain well; discard coffee. Pat sultanas dry on paper towel.
- 2Preheat oven to 190ºC/375ºF. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- 3Using your fingertips, rub softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- 4Process flour, baking powder, caster sugar and three-quarters of the walnuts until nuts are finely ground. Add cold butter; process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add to a large bowl.
- 5Mash banana in a small bowl; you will need ⅓ cup. Whisk egg and buttermilk into mashed banana. Pour banana mixture over dry ingredients. Using a flat-bladed knife, cut banana mixture through flour mixture to make a soft dough.
- 6Roll dough on a piece of well-floured baking paper into a 25cm x 32cm (10-inch x 12¾-inch) rectangle. Scatter sugar mixture and sultanas over dough. Using paper as a guide, roll up dough from one long edge. Flouring a sharp serrated knife, between each cut, cut roll into 10 pieces. Using your hands, reshape slices slightly so they are round, rather than oval. Place slices, cut-side up, 4cm (1½ inches) apart on tray.
- 7Bake scrolls 25 minutes or until golden and risen. Immediately brush top and side of each scroll with caramel; scatter with remaining chopped walnuts. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
If the roll feels too soft to slice, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up. These scrolls are best eaten on the day of making.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 easy Japanese dishesYesterday 11:00pm
- Roast lambYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheese delightsYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cream soup with mushroomsYesterday 2:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury apple sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesecake recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef silverside with parsley chat potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our favourite family roastsYesterday 2:00pm
- Healthy and tasty low-fat recipesJul 30, 2020
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseJul 30, 2020
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toJul 30, 2020
- Lamb shanks massamanJul 29, 2020
- Healthy banana breadJul 29, 2020
- Sensational savoury piesJul 29, 2020