Looking for more banana bread recipes?
- 150 grams (5oz) butter, melted
- ½ cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (90g) golden syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (300g) mashed banana (see tips)
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1½ cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) passionfruit pulp
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a 13cm x 24cm (4½in x 8½in) loaf pan (top measurement), (2 litre/8-cup); line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2in) over the sides.
- 2Beat butter, sugar, syrup, egg and banana in a medium bowl until combined. Fold in sifted flours, then stir in vanilla paste, cinnamon and milk until well combined. Spoon mixture into pan; smooth the surface.
- 3Bake for 1 hour (cover loosely with foil if it starts to overbrown) or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make passionfruit icing.
- 5Spread cold cake with icing.
- 6Place sifted sugar, butter and pulp in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water); stir for 1 minute, or until icing is spreadable.
You will need 2 large (460g) overripe bananas for this recipe. Store cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The cake without the icing can be frozen for up to 1 month.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021