Looking for more banana bread recipes?
- 150 grams (5oz) butter, melted
- ½ cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (90g) golden syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup (300g) mashed banana (see tips)
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 1½ cups (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 teaspoon softened butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) passionfruit pulp
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a 13cm x 24cm (4½in x 8½in) loaf pan (top measurement), (2 litre/8-cup); line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2in) over the sides.
- 2Beat butter, sugar, syrup, egg and banana in a medium bowl until combined. Fold in sifted flours, then stir in vanilla paste, cinnamon and milk until well combined. Spoon mixture into pan; smooth the surface.
- 3Bake for 1 hour (cover loosely with foil if it starts to overbrown) or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make passionfruit icing.
- 5Spread cold cake with icing.
- 6Place sifted sugar, butter and pulp in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water); stir for 1 minute, or until icing is spreadable.
You will need 2 large (460g) overripe bananas for this recipe. Store cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The cake without the icing can be frozen for up to 1 month.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeToday 6:02am
- 21 beautiful baked salmon recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten-free smoky chicken and corn pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Classic beef lasagneYesterday 2:00pm
- Baked lemon and coconut tartYesterday 2:00pm
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Leek and mushroom lasagneYesterday 2:00pm
- Lasagne recipe collectionYesterday 2:00pm
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniYesterday 2:00pm
- Traditional Greek recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 gluten-free dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best spaghetti bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinYesterday 2:00pm
- Chocolate indulgence cakeYesterday 2:00pm