- 1 1/2 cup (330g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 300 gram light sour cream
- 185 gram butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup mashed banana
- pepitas, pecans, hazelnuts to decorate, optional
- 1 tablespoon coffee crystals or demerara sugar, optional
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease two 8cm x 22cm (base measurement) loaf pans. Line the base and sides with baking paper.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the sugar and sifted flours, spice and soda. Whisk eggs and sour cream together. Stir in butter and banana. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Pour into prepared pans. Top with nuts; sprinkle with sugar.
- 3Bake for about 50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer (Don't test cake through a crack, as it will give an inaccurate result.) Cool loaves in pans for 10 minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool completely.
You will need about three large, over-ripe bananas for this recipe.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020