- 125 gram (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe banana
- 1/2 cup (120g) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) thickened cream
- 2 bananas, sliced finely
- 2/3 cup (160ml) passionfruit pulp
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 16 holes of two 12-hole (80ml) muffin pans with paper cases.
- 2Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 3Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in sifted dry ingredients, mashed banana, sour cream and milk, in two batches. Drop ¼ cups (60ml) of mixture into paper cases.
- 4Bake 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire racks to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, beat cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- 6Dollop generous spoonfuls of cream on top of cooled cakes; top each with 2 slices of banana, then drizzle with passionfruit.
You will need 2 large over-ripe bananas (460g) to get the required amount of mashed banana. Freeze un-iced cupcakes for up to 2 months in single layers to prevent damage; sealable plastic containers are good for this. For best results, try to fill as much of the space in the container as possible to eliminate air. Thaw at room temperature as close to decorating time as possible.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Summer stone fruit pandoro puddingYesterday 9:22am
- Rosé and raspberry trifleYesterday 2:35am
- Salmon pastrami with yoghurt tartare and pickled cucumbersYesterday 1:07am
- Gingerbread gift boxesDec 12, 2019
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesDec 12, 2019
- DukkahDec 11, 2019
- Mocha mi suDec 11, 2019
- Santa saladDec 11, 2019
- Sausage rollsDec 11, 2019
- Crackling hamDec 11, 2019
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019
- Gingerbread christmas treesDec 10, 2019
- Honey soy nutsDec 09, 2019
- ColeslawDec 09, 2019