- 10 (sheets) filo pastry
- 1 1/2 cup (150g) walnuts, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (80g) blanched almonds, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 150 gram unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon blanched almonds, chopped finely, extra
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra
- 1 lemon (140g)
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1Combine nuts, sugar and spices in medium bowl. Cut one sheet of filo crossways into three strips, brush each strip with butter. Spoon heaped teaspoons of nut mixture into a pile on one end of each strip, leaving 3.5cm border. Fold in sides, brush with butter, roll up tightly to form a cigar shape. Repeat with remaining pastry, butter and nut mixture. Place cigars on greased oven trays, brush with remaining butter. Bake in moderate oven about 12 minutes or until browned lightly; cool on trays.
- 2To make syrup, using a vegetable peeler cut rind thinly from half of the lemon, avoiding white pith. Combine sugar and the water in medium saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Add rind, cinnamon and cloves; simmer, uncovered, without stirring, 2 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- 3Place cigars in single layer in shallow pan, pour over warm syrup, cool to room temperature. Sprinkle with extra nuts and extra cinnamon.
To prevent filo drying out, cover with damp tea-towel until ready to use.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Lamington popsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020