- 50 gram butter, just melted
- 2 clove garlic
- chilli flakes or cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 12 field mushrooms
- 1 block haloumi cheese
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced plus 3 tablespoons of the sun-dried tomato oil
- 1/4 cucumber, finely diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon capers, finely chopped
- handful baby basil leaves and microgreens
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C. Combine the soft butter with the garlic, chilli, salt, pepper and lemon, mixing well.
- 2Arrange the mushrooms on a lined tray with their gills facing up. Brush butter all over the mushrooms, letting it soak into the gills.
- 3Bake for 10-12 minutes until tender. Meanwhile, slice the haloumi into ½ cm slices and brush with the oil. Heat a non-stick pan and sear the slices 4-5 at a time for 30 seconds each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- 4For the salsa, combine the tomatoes, cucumber and onion, tossing with flavoured oil, vinegar and capers.
- 5Serve the mushrooms stacked with the seared haloumi slices, surrounded with the salsa and garnish with the basil and microgreens.
Haloumi is a mild-flavoured, firm-textured cheese originating from Cyprus. You can get goat’s or cow’s milk varieties. Its high melting point makes it ideal for frying. This little number would make an attractive entrée for a dinner party or brunch date. It’s so easy and quick and yet loaded with flavour. Haloumi is fun to eat (it’s known as the squeaky cheese) and easy to cook as long as you remember to oil the cheese – not the pan – and quickly sear it. - Jo Wilcox
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022