- 3 teaspoon (10g) dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) warm water
- 1 cup (250ml) warm milk
- 3 cup (450g) plain flour
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water, extra
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1Combine yeast, sugar, water and milk in large bowl, whisk until yeast is dissolved. Cover bowl, stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy. Stir sifted flour, salt and extra sugar into yeast mixture in 2 batches; mix to a firm dough.
- 2Turn dough onto floured surface, knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough into large greased bowl, cover, stand in warm place about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- 3Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth; divide dough into 12 portions. Knead each portion into a ball. Press finger in centre of each ball to make a hole, rotate ball with finger until the hole is one- third the size of the bagel. Place bagels about 3cm apart on greased oven trays, cover, stand in warm place about 15 minutes, or until risen.
- 4Drop bagels individually into pan of boiling water; they must not touch. Turn bagels after 1 minute, boil further minute, remove with slotted spoon.
- 5Place bagels on greased oven trays. Brush tops with combined egg yolk and extra water, sprinkle with combined seeds and sea salt. Bake in moderately hot oven about 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Store them in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature or wrap tightly in foil and freeze. Refrigerator storage will dry them out.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Potato Salad RecipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Broccoli and kale soup with lemon creme fraicheAug 05, 2020
- Classic sconesAug 05, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeAug 04, 2020
- Homemade pastyAug 04, 2020
- Pork ribs with sticky barbecue sauceAug 04, 2020
- Tangy lemon squaresAug 04, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesAug 04, 2020
- 27 comforting custard dessertsAug 04, 2020
- Anzac biscuit recipesAug 04, 2020
- Traditional beef casseroleAug 04, 2020