- 1 kg rindless bacon slices, sliced thinly, excess fat trimmed
- 3 (450g) brown onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (160ml) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towel.
- 2Transfer bacon to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, syrup, mustard, thyme, coffee and the water. Cook, covered, on High, for 6 hours. Discard thyme; skim excess fat. Season with pepper.
- 3Process bacon mixture until finely chopped, but not puréed. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilised jars (see overleaf); seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve on toast with roasted tomatoes, fried egg and baby spinach leaves.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Strawberry and almond friand sliceYesterday 9:00pm
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaYesterday 6:51am
- Mandarin marmaladeYesterday 6:41am
- Chocolate caramel semifreddo with honeycomb and mandarinYesterday 5:51am
- Mandarin and chai soufflesYesterday 5:13am
- Magical mandarin recipesYesterday 4:37am
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019