- 1 kg rindless bacon slices, sliced thinly, excess fat trimmed
- 3 (450g) brown onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (160ml) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towel.
- 2Transfer bacon to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, syrup, mustard, thyme, coffee and the water. Cook, covered, on High, for 6 hours. Discard thyme; skim excess fat. Season with pepper.
- 3Process bacon mixture until finely chopped, but not puréed. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilised jars (see overleaf); seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve on toast with roasted tomatoes, fried egg and baby spinach leaves.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Blackberry parfaitYesterday 12:43am
- Pork silverside roast with maple-roasted vegiesJul 21, 2019
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019