- 1 kg rindless bacon slices, sliced thinly, excess fat trimmed
- 3 (450g) brown onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (160ml) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towel.
- 2Transfer bacon to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, syrup, mustard, thyme, coffee and the water. Cook, covered, on High, for 6 hours. Discard thyme; skim excess fat. Season with pepper.
- 3Process bacon mixture until finely chopped, but not puréed. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilised jars (see overleaf); seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve on toast with roasted tomatoes, fried egg and baby spinach leaves.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019