- 1 kg rindless bacon slices, sliced thinly, excess fat trimmed
- 3 (450g) brown onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (160ml) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towel.
- 2Transfer bacon to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, syrup, mustard, thyme, coffee and the water. Cook, covered, on High, for 6 hours. Discard thyme; skim excess fat. Season with pepper.
- 3Process bacon mixture until finely chopped, but not puréed. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilised jars (see overleaf); seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve on toast with roasted tomatoes, fried egg and baby spinach leaves.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate fig panforteToday 1:18am
- Coconut sago puddingsToday 12:50am
- White christmas rocky roadToday 12:28am
- Coriander, lemon and chilli hummusToday 12:20am
- Thai green chicken curryYesterday 1:04am
- Coconut jam dropsNov 17, 2019
- Raspberry gelatoNov 17, 2019
- Rosé sangriaNov 17, 2019
- Bordelaise sauceNov 17, 2019
- Corned beef with mustard sauceNov 17, 2019
- The perfect potato chipNov 17, 2019
- Perfect potato saladNov 15, 2019
- 13 outstanding Christmas dessertsNov 14, 2019
- Banoffee pieNov 14, 2019
- Classic Christmas trifleNov 14, 2019
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingNov 14, 2019