Sure, it might not be a jam in the classical sense but once you smother your toast with this savoury spread that will be the last thing on your mind. Bacon jam is perfect piled high on toast with egg, tomato and spinach.
Looking for more breakfast recipes or more [bacon recipes]?(
- 1 kg rindless bacon slices, sliced thinly, excess fat trimmed
- 3 (450g) brown onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup (160ml) cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on paper towel.
- 2Transfer bacon to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, syrup, mustard, thyme, coffee and the water. Cook, covered, on High, for 6 hours. Discard thyme; skim excess fat. Season with pepper.
- 3Process bacon mixture until finely chopped, but not puréed. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilised jars (see overleaf); seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold. Serve on toast with roasted tomatoes, fried egg and baby spinach leaves.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022