- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 250g fresh duck legs
- 5 green onions, cut into 5cm lengths, green tips reserved
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into 5cm pieces, bruised
- 1 medium_piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 clove garlic, bruised, chopped
- 1 whole long red chilli
- 1/4 cup palm sugar, grated
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 strips orange peel
- fish sauce, to taste
- steamed chinese broccoli, to serve
- rice, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish on high. Season duck with salt. Cook 5-6 minutes, turning to brown well all over. Transfer duck to a plate. Drain excess fat from pan.
- 2Saute onion, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chilli in same dish on medium 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add palm sugar, cinnamon and star anise, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 3Add water, juice and peel to pan. Bring to the boil. Return duck to dish and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, 2 1/2 hours, until duck is tender and sauce reduced by half.
- 4Season with fish sauce. Serve with chinese broccoli, rice and reserved green onion.
Reserved duck fat can be strained and kept refrigerated. Use for roasting potatoes or cooking confit.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeToday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019