- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 250g fresh duck legs
- 5 green onions, cut into 5cm lengths, green tips reserved
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into 5cm pieces, bruised
- 1 medium_piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 clove garlic, bruised, chopped
- 1 whole long red chilli
- 1/4 cup palm sugar, grated
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 strips orange peel
- fish sauce, to taste
- steamed chinese broccoli, to serve
- rice, to serve
- 1Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish on high. Season duck with salt. Cook 5-6 minutes, turning to brown well all over. Transfer duck to a plate. Drain excess fat from pan.
- 2Saute onion, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and chilli in same dish on medium 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add palm sugar, cinnamon and star anise, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 3Add water, juice and peel to pan. Bring to the boil. Return duck to dish and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, 2 1/2 hours, until duck is tender and sauce reduced by half.
- 4Season with fish sauce. Serve with chinese broccoli, rice and reserved green onion.
Reserved duck fat can be strained and kept refrigerated. Use for roasting potatoes or cooking confit.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom filled beef fillet with port sauceDec 05, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingDec 05, 2019
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Dec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladDec 05, 2019
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineDec 05, 2019
- Nutella cheesecakeDec 05, 2019
- White Christmas sliceDec 05, 2019
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019