Chinese chicken noodle soup
- 1.6 kilogram whole chicken
- 4 large chicken stock cubes
- 8 cup (2l) water
- 8 fresh ginger, peeled, sliced, plus
- 5 cut into matchsticks, extra
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 100 gram vermicelli bean thread noodles
- 2 fresh long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 bunch baby pak choy, quartered lengthwise
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
Asian chicken noodle soup
- 1Rinse chicken cavity under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken, crumbled stock cubes, ginger, garlic and water in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Skim scum from surface. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
- 2Transfer chicken to a heatproof board. Strain broth through a fine colander into a heatproof bowl; discard solids. Cool. Cover with plastic food wrap; chill overnight.
- 3When chicken is cool, remove and discard skin. Shred meat from bones; discard bones. Place chicken meat in a bowl. Cover with plastic food wrap; chill overnight.
- 4The following day, soak noodles in boiling water in a heatproof bowl for 2 minutes. Stir to separate strands. Drain.
- 5Skim solidified fat from surface of broth. Place broth in a saucepan over moderate heat. Bring to a simmer. Add extra ginger, chilli, sesame oil, soy sauce, pak choy, white part of the green onion and the chicken meat; simmer for 2 minutes or until pak choy wilts. Season.
- 6Divide noodles among serving bowls. Ladle soup over noodles. Top with green part of onion. Serve.
You could use 6 chopped chicken thigh fillets instead of a whole chicken.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Santa Claus Christmas ice-cream cakeToday 4:33am
- Nutty choc-chip boiled fruit cakesToday 12:51am
- Rum and raisin shortbreadToday 12:48am
- Rice-cooker bibimbapToday 12:29am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Yesterday 1:00pm
- 25 rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesYesterday 1:00pm
- Aussie meat piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Melt-in-the-mouth eggnog shortbreadsYesterday 1:00pm
- Everything you need to know about the Air FryerYesterday 1:00pm
- Teriyaki poke bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 Christmas recipes that will surprise your guestsYesterday 1:00pm
- Rudolph the reindeer cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- 14 sensational Christmas shortbread variationsYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerYesterday 1:00pm