- 3 small red onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon flaky salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 300 gram jerusalem artichokes
- 4 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 sheet savoury short pastry
- handful torn radicchio leaves, to serve
- 10 centimetre sprig rosemary, leaves only
- pinch flaky sea salt
- 3 tablespoon roasted hazelnuts, whole
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Place onions in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season. Roast for 20 minutes.
- 2Place artichokes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil, then turn off heat and leave in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. Once cool, slice into thick chunks.
- 3Place sugar in a small, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Cook until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil, stirring. Let sugar bubble until it turns a light caramel colour.
- 4Pour caramel into a 20cm cast-iron frying pan, lay artichoke pieces over the top (cut-side down), leaving a 2cm gap around the edge.
- 5Cut pastry sheet to same size as pan. Lay pastry over artichoke and press edges so they touch the bottom of the pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
- 6Serve with roasted red onion, radicchio and hazelnut dressing.
- 7To make hazelnut dressing; grind rosemary and salt in a mortar and pestle. Mix with remaining ingredients.
Mike's Top Tips: - Serving suggestions and kitchen tricks to make this meal your own. If you don’t like artichokes, you can use parsnip, kumara or pumpkin. Skip the boiling and use them raw. Radicchio is a bitter leaf available from specialty shops. The sharp flavour is a great contrast with the tart. Use red endive lettuce if preferred.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021