- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 750 gram (1½ pounds) beef chuck steak, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon each ground coriander and sweet paprika
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 4 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 4 large green olives, seeded, sliced thinly
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 340 gram (11 ounces) bottled roasted capsicum (bell pepper) strips
- 1Heat half the oil in large saucepan; cook beef, in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, stirring, until softened. Add flour and spices; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually stir in stock. Return beef to pan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, over low heat, 2 hours. Season; cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Oil oven tray and line with baking paper.
- 4Cut eight 14cm (5½-inch) rounds from pastry. Divide beef mixture among rounds. Top with olive and hard-boiled egg; seal pastry over filling. Pinch pastry edges together; place on oven tray. Brush with beaten egg.
- 5Bake empanadas about 25 minutes or until browned. Stand 5 minutes before serving.
- 6Meanwhile, blend or process capsicum until smooth. Serve with empanadas.
You can freeze the uncooked empanadas in an airtight container. No need to thaw them before baking but they will take a little longer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021