- 125 gram unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 ripe apricots, halved, stone removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper. Lightly grease paper.
- 2In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time, beating well alter each addition. Fold in flour and sour cream alternately into creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Spoon into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, toss apricots with lemon juice and extra caster sugar in a bowl. Arrange over partially cooked cake.
- 5Sprinkle with almonds and bake for further 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, before turning onto on a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar and serve cut into squares.
Tip: This cake is also good when made with peaches or nectarines.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021