- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 medium fresh apricots (200g)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease six ¾-cup (180ml) soufflé dishes. Sprinkle inside of dishes with a little of the caster sugar; shake away excess. Place dishes on oven tray.
- 2Place apricots in small heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand 2 minutes. Drain; cool 5 minutes. Peel and seed apricots; chop flesh finely.
- 3Combine apricot in small saucepan with remaining caster sugar, the water and honey; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until apricots soften to a jam-like consistency.
- 4Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add hot apricot mixture, beating until just combined. Spoon mixture into dishes.
- 5Bake soufflés about 15 minutes. Serve immediately, dusted with sifted icing sugar.
Egg whites are vital to a soufflé's success. They must be folded very carefully into the mixture. Use a wide-topped bowl so folding is easier for you. Use a whisk, spatula or large metal spoon for the folding; the choice is yours. Some cooks like to fold a small amount of the egg white (about a quarter) through the flavoured, more solid mixture first to "let the mixture down" a little. Fold in the remaining egg whites, in 1 or 2 batches depending on the quantity. Experiment a little to determine what works best for you and your soufflés. Soufflés must be made just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom and spinach bruschettaYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingDec 05, 2019
- Nutella cheesecakeDec 05, 2019
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineDec 05, 2019
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Dec 05, 2019
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladDec 05, 2019
- Mushroom filled beef fillet with port sauceDec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- White Christmas sliceDec 05, 2019
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019