- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 medium fresh apricots (200g)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease six ¾-cup (180ml) soufflé dishes. Sprinkle inside of dishes with a little of the caster sugar; shake away excess. Place dishes on oven tray.
- 2Place apricots in small heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand 2 minutes. Drain; cool 5 minutes. Peel and seed apricots; chop flesh finely.
- 3Combine apricot in small saucepan with remaining caster sugar, the water and honey; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until apricots soften to a jam-like consistency.
- 4Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add hot apricot mixture, beating until just combined. Spoon mixture into dishes.
- 5Bake soufflés about 15 minutes. Serve immediately, dusted with sifted icing sugar.
Egg whites are vital to a soufflé's success. They must be folded very carefully into the mixture. Use a wide-topped bowl so folding is easier for you. Use a whisk, spatula or large metal spoon for the folding; the choice is yours. Some cooks like to fold a small amount of the egg white (about a quarter) through the flavoured, more solid mixture first to "let the mixture down" a little. Fold in the remaining egg whites, in 1 or 2 batches depending on the quantity. Experiment a little to determine what works best for you and your soufflés. Soufflés must be made just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeToday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019