A delightful slice with a layer of tender apple mixture topped with sweet and crunchy streusel. Perfect as a morning or afternoon tea.
Apple streusel slice
- 220 grams (7oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄3 cups (200g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 4 large apples (800g), sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- ½ cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ cup (35g) self-raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup (75g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 grams (3oz) unsalted butter, chopped
- 1Make streusel topping. Process ingredients until combined. Enclose dough in plastic wrap; freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm rectangular slice pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over the sides.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and egg yolks in a small bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in sifted flours and custard powder. Press mixture into pan.
- 4Bake base for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, place apples, honey and rind in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat; drain. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- 6Spread cooled apple mixture on base; coarsely grate streusel topping over apple.
- 7Bake slice for 20 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool in pan.
Apple mixture can be made a day ahead; stored, covered, in the fridge. Slice will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic mashed potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Firm ricottaYesterday 1:00pm
- Caesar saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Spicy guacamoleYesterday 1:00pm
- Red velvet cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Red velvet whoopie piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Pork dinner recipesYesterday 1:00am
- Soft ricottaJan 18, 2021
- Recipes and guide to the keto dietJan 18, 2021
- Zucchini ribbon skewers with tomato fetta saladJan 18, 2021
- Freekeh tabbouleh beetrootJan 18, 2021
- Eggplant bolognese bakeJan 18, 2021
- Kimchi 2 waysJan 18, 2021
- Lamington cream layer cakeJan 18, 2021
- Mixed berry coconut layer cakeJan 18, 2021