- 10 medium apples (1.5kg)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 100 grams (3 ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) iced water
- 1Process dry ingredients with butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and the water; process until combined. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2Peel, core and slice apples thickly. Place apples and the water in
a large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until apples soften. Drain; stir in sugar, rind
and cinnamon. Cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Grease a deep 25cm (10-inch)
- 4Divide pastry in half. Roll one half between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line dish. Lift pastry into dish; press into base and side. Spoon apple mixture into pastry case; brush edge with egg white.
- 5Roll remaining pastry until large enough to cover filling;
lift onto filling. Press edges together; trim away excess pastry. Brush pastry with egg white; sprinkle with extra sugar.
- 6Bake pie for 20 minutes. Reduce oven to 180°C/350°F; bake for
a further 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Make sure the apple filling has drained well and cooled to room temperature before you add it to the pastry case. Brushing
the pastry case first with a little of the egg white before you add the filling will also help stop the apples from making the pastry soggy.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker borschtMay 14, 2019
- Ricotta recipes for a delicious dinnerMay 14, 2019