- 3/4 cup (110g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100 gram chilled butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chilled water, approximately
- 1.5 kilogram golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, thickly sliced
- 50 gram butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (200g) frozen blackberries
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 150 gram butter, chopped, softened slightly
- 1/3 cup (35g) rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (60g) natural flaked almonds (with skin on)
Vanilla bean custard
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 300 millilitre cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
Apple crunch pie with vanilla bean custard
- 1Lightly grease a 24cm pie dish (20cm base measurement).
- 2Place flours, sugar and the butter in the bowl of food processor. Process until mixture just resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and water, pulse until the pastry just starts to come together.
- 3Turn out onto a lightly floured bench and pat out pastry to form a disc. Roll out pastry to about 5mm thick on a lightly floured surface large enough to line base, side and rim of the pie dish. Gently ease the pastry into prepared pie dish.
- 4Crimp the pastry edge. Place pie dish on an oven tray. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, make filling: combine apples, butter and sugar in a large saucepan. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until tender and excess moisture has evaporated. Gently fold the frozen blackberries into the apple filling.
- 6Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Cover pastry with a sheet of baking paper and fill with pastry weights, dried beans or rice. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden around the edge. Remove weights and paper then bake for a further 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
- 7Meanwhile, make crumble topping: sift flours, cinnamon and sugar in medium bowl; rub in butter. Stir in oats and almonds.
- 8Spoon the apple and blackberry mixture into the pastry base. Sprinkle with Crumble Topping. Bake for further 35–40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Meanwhile, make custard: split the vanilla bean lengthways; scrape out the seeds. Combine bean, seeds, milk and cream in a medium saucepan; heat until just below boiling; remove bean. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Beat in cornflour then gradually beat in hot milk mixture. Return milk mixture to pan; stir over low heat, without boiling, until custard thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- 10Serve pie warm with vanilla bean custard.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022