- 1 kg apples, peeled, cored, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cooking salt
- 1 cup (250ml) apple juice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 1Combine apples, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, salt, juice and cloves in
a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high, for 6 hours.
- 2Uncover, add vanilla bean. Increase heat (use reduce setting on medium if your slow cooker has it); boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring, until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick and browned. Discard cloves.
- 3Pour hot apple butter into hot sterilised jars (see glossary, page 235); seal immediately. Label and date jars when cold.
Serve on porridge sprinkled with sunflower seeds, pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels), cinnamon and honey.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022