There are few desserts more comforting on a cool winter's evening than the humble crumble. Packed full of warm, tender stewed fruits and topped with a sweet, crunchy oat-based topping, you'll get an explosion of flavour and texture with every mouthful.
Looking for more crumble recipes?
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 90 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 bunch rhubarb, leaves removed, trimmed, washed, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
Apple and rhubarb crumble
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a medium ovenproof dish.
- 2In a medium saucepan, combine apple and water. Bring to boil on high. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, 4-5 minutes, until almost tender.
- 3Add rhubarb and sugar. Simmer, stirring, 2-3 minutes, or until rhubarb is just tender. Drain excess liquid. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- 4To make crumble: Sift flour into a medium bowl. Rub in butter using fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir remaining crumble ingredients through. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
- 5Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Serve warm with cream or ice-cream.
Tips: Store any leftover rhubarb in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you prefer a crunchier crumble, add 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts to the crumble mix.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021