- 3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 300 gram chilled butter, chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon chilled water
- 1 egg yolk, extra
- 2 teaspoon demerara sugar
- whipped cream, to serve
Apple and pear filling
- 6 green apples, peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 800 gram can pears
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoon custard powder
Apple and pear slab pie
- 1Sift plain flour into a large bowl. Stir in caster sugar. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks, lemon zest and chilled water. Mix to pliable dough. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile to make filling; in a saucepan, simmer apples, caster sugar and cinnamon, covered, on medium, for 4-5 minutes, until just tender. Stir drained pears, hazelnuts and custard powder through. Simmer for 3 minutes. Cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 20 x 30cm lamington pan.
- 4Roll out 2/3 pastry out between baking paper until 3mm thick. Ease into pan. Chill for 15 minutes. Trim edges. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove filling, bake for 10 minutes. Brush with a little egg yolk. Bake for 5 minutes.
- 5Roll out remaining pastry to 3mm thick and large enough to cover pie. Spoon filling into case. Arrange pastry over and trim edges. Make 3 slits in middle of pie. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve pie in portions with whipped cream.
If preferred, replace canned pear with canned peaches or use 2 extra apples or pears.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019