- 4 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 4 corella pears, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 teaspoons extra
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- ice-cream, to serve
- 2 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- 250 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1Sift flour into a large bowl. Stir sugar and almond meal in. Rub butter in using fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 2Add egg and enough water to form a firm, pliable dough. Knead lightly. Form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 3Make filling.
- 4Preheat oven to hot, 200°C. Lightly grease a 25cm pie plate.
- 5Roll out 2/3 pastry between 2 sheets baking paper until 0.5cm thick. Ease into plate. Chill for 15 minutes. Trim and decorate edges. Prick base with a fork. Place pie dish on a baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool. Spoon filling into pastry case.
- 6Roll out remaining pastry until large enough to cover pie. Brush pie edges with egg-white. Cover with pastry, trimming edge.
- 7Brush top with egg white and sprinkle with extra sugar. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately slow, 160°C.
- 8Bake for a further 20 minutes until golden. Serve warm, in wedges, with icecream if desired.
- 9In a large saucepan, combine fruit with water,sugar, cinnamon and rind. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 4-5 minutes until almost tender. Drain excess liquid. Cool.
Cover edges of pastry with foil if it becomes too brown, and continue baking as directed.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022