- 170 gram butter
- 50 gram sugar
- 260 gram flour
- 60 gram sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 large granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar (just adjust the sugar quantity for sweetness)
- 1/2 cup fresh passionfruit pulp
- 1 tablespoon cornflour plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon extra sugar
- 1In the food processor, combine the butter, sugar and flour, then pulse until at breadcrumb stage. Add the sour cream and egg yolk, pulsing until the mixture starts to come together into a clump.
- 2Remove onto a clean bench top and knead gently together into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 3For the filling, simmer the apples, water, sugar and passionfruit pulp for 5-8 minutes or until the apples are starting to soften. Then combine the cornflour and water, then add to the apples, stirring for 2-3 minutes until thickened and saucy. Allow to cool.
- 4Roll out ¾ of the pastry into a large round (use a little flour to stop it sticking). Line a 23cm pie tin, trimming the edges neatly, then chill. Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into strips for the lattice and chill.
- 5Fill the lined pastry shell with the apple and passionfruit, then lay the lattice over, crimping the edges to seal. Brush the pastry rim and lattice with the milk, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden and firm.
- 6Serve the pie warm with ice cream, whipped cream or custard.
This pie has the most delicious smell when it’s cooking. It’s a great way to add a bit of interest to a classic apple pie. The pastry is not too sweet with the addition of the sour cream and when sprinkled with sugar just before baking, it comes up with a divine crunchy, glazed top.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cheese and silverbeet borekYesterday 2:00pm
- 42 perfect puddingsYesterday 2:00pm
- 39 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- 35 very vegetarian pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 44 perfect pumpkin recipesJun 28, 2022
- 41 creative ideas with cabbageJun 28, 2022
- 26 easy chicken pasta recipesJun 28, 2022
- Chicken and fennel tray bakeJun 28, 2022
- Soft polentaJun 28, 2022
- Shaved cabbage with pecorino balsamicJun 28, 2022
- Princess-themed birthday cakesJun 28, 2022
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022