Looking for more edible gift ideas?
Almond caramel bars
- 45 gram (1½ ounces) butter
- 1/3 cup (55g) blanched almonds, chopped coarsely
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) bought soft caramels, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon pouring cream
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
Almond caramel bars
- 1Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) above long sides.
- 2Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, add almonds; cook for 5 minutes or until a light golden brown colour. Add caramels, stir over low heat until melted; pour off any excess butter.
- 3Return nut mixture to heat, add cream; cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, for 4 minutes or until thickened slightly. Spread mixture evenly into pan. Refrigerate until set.
- 4Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a medium pan of simmering water (don't let water touch base of bowl); stir until melted. Spread evenly over caramel, refrigerate until set.
- 5Cut caramel with a warm knife into 2cm x 1.5cm (¾-inch x 2¾-inch) bars. Sandwich two pieces together, chocolate-side out, to make 21 bars.
You can use slivered almonds instead of blanched. We used Jersey Caramels, available in the confectionary aisle of the supermarket. Store bars in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021