Looking for more edible gift ideas?
Almond caramel bars
- 45 gram (1½ ounces) butter
- 1/3 cup (55g) blanched almonds, chopped coarsely
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) bought soft caramels, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon pouring cream
- 200 gram (6½ ounces) dark (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
Almond caramel bars
- 1Grease a 20cm x 30cm (8-inch x 12-inch) slice pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) above long sides.
- 2Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat, add almonds; cook for 5 minutes or until a light golden brown colour. Add caramels, stir over low heat until melted; pour off any excess butter.
- 3Return nut mixture to heat, add cream; cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, for 4 minutes or until thickened slightly. Spread mixture evenly into pan. Refrigerate until set.
- 4Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a medium pan of simmering water (don't let water touch base of bowl); stir until melted. Spread evenly over caramel, refrigerate until set.
- 5Cut caramel with a warm knife into 2cm x 1.5cm (¾-inch x 2¾-inch) bars. Sandwich two pieces together, chocolate-side out, to make 21 bars.
You can use slivered almonds instead of blanched. We used Jersey Caramels, available in the confectionary aisle of the supermarket. Store bars in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 2 weeks.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021