- 300 gram firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon instant dashi
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoon coarsely grated daikon radish
- 1 centimetre piece fresh ginger (5g), grated
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon dried bonito flakes
- 1Press tofu between 2 chopping boards with weight on top, raise one end; stand 25 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine dashi and the water in small saucepan. Add sake, mirin and sauce; bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- 3Cut tofu into 8 even-sized pieces; pat dry between layers of absorbent paper then toss in combined cornflour and sesame seeds. Heat oil in wok; deep-fry tofu, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Place 2 pieces of tofu in each serving bowl. Divide daikon, ginger and onion among bowls; pour dashi over tofu then sprinkle with bonito flakes.
Dashi is the basic fish and seaweed stock that accounts for the distinctive flavour of many Japanese dishes. It is made from dried bonito (mackerel) flakes and kombu (kelp). Instant dashi powder, also known as dashi-nomoto, can be purchased, from Asian grocery stores, in concentrated liquid or granule form; here, we used granulated dashi. Bonito flakes can be found in most Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Lamington popsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beet and black bean burgerJan 23, 2020
- Sticky wing with sesame saltJan 23, 2020
- Salmon and potato salad with mustardy dressingJan 23, 2020
- How to bake basic damper while campingJan 23, 2020
- Korean-style barbecued chicken riceJan 23, 2020
- "Eat your greens" chicken saladJan 23, 2020
- Sticky pork with sweet and sour saladJan 23, 2020
- Broccoli and paneer saag curryJan 23, 2020
- Roast pumpkin dip with spiced chickpeasJan 23, 2020
- Szechuan-style chilli eggplantJan 23, 2020
- Paper cup popsiclesJan 23, 2020
- Green minestrone with pestoJan 23, 2020