- 300 gram firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon instant dashi
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoon coarsely grated daikon radish
- 1 centimetre piece fresh ginger (5g), grated
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon dried bonito flakes
- 1Press tofu between 2 chopping boards with weight on top, raise one end; stand 25 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine dashi and the water in small saucepan. Add sake, mirin and sauce; bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- 3Cut tofu into 8 even-sized pieces; pat dry between layers of absorbent paper then toss in combined cornflour and sesame seeds. Heat oil in wok; deep-fry tofu, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Place 2 pieces of tofu in each serving bowl. Divide daikon, ginger and onion among bowls; pour dashi over tofu then sprinkle with bonito flakes.
Dashi is the basic fish and seaweed stock that accounts for the distinctive flavour of many Japanese dishes. It is made from dried bonito (mackerel) flakes and kombu (kelp). Instant dashi powder, also known as dashi-nomoto, can be purchased, from Asian grocery stores, in concentrated liquid or granule form; here, we used granulated dashi. Bonito flakes can be found in most Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022