- 300 gram firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon instant dashi
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoon coarsely grated daikon radish
- 1 centimetre piece fresh ginger (5g), grated
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon dried bonito flakes
- 1Press tofu between 2 chopping boards with weight on top, raise one end; stand 25 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, combine dashi and the water in small saucepan. Add sake, mirin and sauce; bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
- 3Cut tofu into 8 even-sized pieces; pat dry between layers of absorbent paper then toss in combined cornflour and sesame seeds. Heat oil in wok; deep-fry tofu, in batches, until browned lightly. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Place 2 pieces of tofu in each serving bowl. Divide daikon, ginger and onion among bowls; pour dashi over tofu then sprinkle with bonito flakes.
Dashi is the basic fish and seaweed stock that accounts for the distinctive flavour of many Japanese dishes. It is made from dried bonito (mackerel) flakes and kombu (kelp). Instant dashi powder, also known as dashi-nomoto, can be purchased, from Asian grocery stores, in concentrated liquid or granule form; here, we used granulated dashi. Bonito flakes can be found in most Asian food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forYesterday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamYesterday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesSep 27, 2020
- Easy Danish pastriesSep 27, 2020
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesSep 27, 2020
- Lamb and spinach samosasSep 27, 2020
- White sauceSep 27, 2020
- Garibaldi sliceSep 27, 2020
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesSep 27, 2020
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020