- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 kilogram lamb shoulder, trimmed, diced into 3cm pieces
- 1 (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 400 gram chopped tomatoes
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 150 gram baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup (45g) toasted slivered almonds
- 1Heat half the oil in a large saucepan; cook lamb, in batches, until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic and spices, stirring, until onion softens.
- 3Return lamb to pan with undrained tomatoes and stock; simmer, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer for a further 15 minutes or until sauce thickens and lamb is tender.
- 4Add spinach and rind; stir over heat until spinach just wilts. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Sprinkle curry with almonds and serve with Afghani bread, if desired.
This is a mild curry, perfect for those starting out in the world of curries. Sandwiched between the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent, Afghanistan's food has been influenced by the cuisines of all the countries in these areas. In this recipe, its Iranian and Turkish influences are shown by the addition of nutmeg and cinnamon, while the rich, thick sauce from the combined tomato, stock and spinach resemble a traditional Indian curry. The tender green leaves of spinach are often added to soups, stir-fries and curries just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019