- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 kilogram lamb shoulder, trimmed, diced into 3cm pieces
- 1 (200g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 400 gram chopped tomatoes
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 150 gram baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/3 cup (45g) toasted slivered almonds
- 1Heat half the oil in a large saucepan; cook lamb, in batches, until browned all over. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion, garlic and spices, stirring, until onion softens.
- 3Return lamb to pan with undrained tomatoes and stock; simmer, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer for a further 15 minutes or until sauce thickens and lamb is tender.
- 4Add spinach and rind; stir over heat until spinach just wilts. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 5Sprinkle curry with almonds and serve with Afghani bread, if desired.
This is a mild curry, perfect for those starting out in the world of curries. Sandwiched between the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent, Afghanistan's food has been influenced by the cuisines of all the countries in these areas. In this recipe, its Iranian and Turkish influences are shown by the addition of nutmeg and cinnamon, while the rich, thick sauce from the combined tomato, stock and spinach resemble a traditional Indian curry. The tender green leaves of spinach are often added to soups, stir-fries and curries just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019