- 1 quantity basic buttercake
- 1 quantity basic butter cream
- yellow food colouring
- 125 gram (40z) softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180ºC (160ºC fan forced). Lightly grease and flour a 9-cup pudding basin.
- 2Spoon cake mixture into pan, smoothing top. Bake 40-45 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in basin 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Trim base of cake to create a flat surface.
- 3To make butter cream. Beat the butter (and any flavouring if using) in a small bowl with an electric beater until the butter is as white as possible. (This will result in a whiter buttercream which will give you better results if colouring it). Gradually beat in half of the sifted icing sugar, then the milk, then the remaining sifted icing sugar.Beat until the butter cream is smooth and spreadable. Keep scraping down the side of the bowl during beating.
- 4Tint buttercream with yellow food colouring.
- 5Spread butter cream all over sides and top of the cake. Smooth surface with spatula. Transfer to serving board or plate. Cut out triangles of paper and colour in stripes. Glue onto toothpicks and allow to dry. Top cake with flags and arrange starfish as shown.
DECORATIONS striped paper, toothpicks, glue, toy starfish, to decorate For a more elaborate cake, add some chocolate shells (or make your own using melted chocolate and chocolate shell moulds). You can also make some sand by rubbing yellow food colouring into sugar. Sprinkle it over buttercream or around cake edges.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019