- 1 quantity basic buttercake
- 1 quantity basic butter cream
- yellow food colouring
- 125 gram (40z) softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180ºC (160ºC fan forced). Lightly grease and flour a 9-cup pudding basin.
- 2Spoon cake mixture into pan, smoothing top. Bake 40-45 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in basin 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Trim base of cake to create a flat surface.
- 3To make butter cream. Beat the butter (and any flavouring if using) in a small bowl with an electric beater until the butter is as white as possible. (This will result in a whiter buttercream which will give you better results if colouring it). Gradually beat in half of the sifted icing sugar, then the milk, then the remaining sifted icing sugar.Beat until the butter cream is smooth and spreadable. Keep scraping down the side of the bowl during beating.
- 4Tint buttercream with yellow food colouring.
- 5Spread butter cream all over sides and top of the cake. Smooth surface with spatula. Transfer to serving board or plate. Cut out triangles of paper and colour in stripes. Glue onto toothpicks and allow to dry. Top cake with flags and arrange starfish as shown.
DECORATIONS striped paper, toothpicks, glue, toy starfish, to decorate For a more elaborate cake, add some chocolate shells (or make your own using melted chocolate and chocolate shell moulds). You can also make some sand by rubbing yellow food colouring into sugar. Sprinkle it over buttercream or around cake edges.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 6:37am
- Spring rollsToday 1:55am
- Mussels in tomato sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Thai spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Almond caramel barsYesterday 2:00pm
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Our 23 best toastie recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- TabboulehYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- 24 amazing avocado recipes that are more than just guac or smashYesterday 12:59am
- Beef WellingtonYesterday 12:27am
- 20 delicious desserts with canned pineapplesSep 22, 2021
- 37 fabulous frittatasSep 22, 2021