Lovely, light seafood is a staple in Aussie summer and mussels are just the ticket for a perfect appetiser during your weekend entertaining. These sensational shellfish can also hold their own as the star of your dinners so we've gathered our best recipes for them to shine in incredible stir-fries and pastas. For those who are fans of more classic dishes, we've also included all you need to nail moules marniere and as well as an easy moules et frites recipe. Happy cooking!
Looking for more sensational seafood dishes?
Preparing mussels properly is the key to a spectacular shellfish dish. Our Test Kitchen shows you how to make sure your mussels are on point.
Before you get cleaning, you have to separate the edible mussels from the dead ones - these are any that are cracked, chipped or wide open.
Those that are slightly ajar could still be alive and kicking so here's your chance to save a life.
How? Gently squeeze them closed and if they stay shut, well done - you've just brought your mussels back from the brink (and saved yourself a few bucks)!
Our Test Kitchen recommends two everyday household items that will easily do the trick.
A clean scourer or a hard brush are perfect for buffing away any debris from the shells, leaving them with a smooth and shiny finish.
We guarantee this will be your quickest shave ever!
To debeard your mussels you first have to know what you're looking for - a hairy length of rope growing out of the shell.
Now, hold the mussel in your hand and pull the beard down towards the open end, as shown in the above video. Discard this part - no one wants hair in their food.
And, that's it! Your mussels are now ready to be used.
1 / 0
2 / 0
3 / 0
4 / 0
5 / 0
6 / 0
7 / 0
8 / 0
9 / 0
10 / 0
11 / 0
12 / 0
13 / 0
14 / 0
15 / 0
16 / 0
17 / 0
18 / 0
19 / 0
20 / 0
21 / 0
22 / 0
23 / 0
24 / 0
25 / 0
26 / 0
27 / 0
- Coconut jam dropsToday 12:49am
- Corn and quinoa chowderYesterday 10:28pm
- Gluten free chickpea schnitzels and yoghurt sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Mexican pulled porkYesterday 2:00pm
- Provencal beef stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 sensational slow-cooked pork mealsYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken saltimboccaYesterday 6:43am
- Healthy soup recipesYesterday 6:23am
- Slow-cooker honey mustard chickenYesterday 5:25am
- One-pot rice and chickenYesterday 4:29am
- Yoghurt wraps with pick-your-protein scrambleMay 16, 2022
- Quattro formaggio pizzaMay 16, 2022
- Chilli beans with tomato sauceMay 16, 2022
- Chinese honey chickenMay 16, 2022