- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rock salt
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1 bunch dill, finely chopped, plus extra, to garnish
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 juniper berries, bruised
- 1 (about1.3kg) side salmon, skin on, boned
- crackers, spreadable cream cheese, to serve
- 1In a large dish, combine sugar, salt, gin, dill, garlic and berries.
- 2Add fish to dish, turning to coat well. Place, flesh-side down. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 48 hours.
- 3When ready to serve, rinse fish well. Pat dry with paper towel. Place on a serving platter, skin side down, and sprinkle with extra dill.
- 4Slice salmon thinly, starting from head end, on an angle. Serve with crackers and cream cheese.
Juniper berries are available in the spice section at the supermarket. When buying your fish, ask to have it boned.