Fresh, juicy mangoes are synonymous with warm Australian summer days but there's no quicker way to ruin those happy holiday vibes than getting stuck in the kitchen, struggling to slice up a perfect piece.
Losing any of this fabulous fruit to the cutting process is always a terrible shame so the team at Aussie Mangoes have shared their four easiest ways to slice it up like a pro.
- Place your mango stem end down on a chopping board. With the knife slightly to the right of the center, slice down through the mango. You now have a cheek!
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, slice parallel lines into the mango flesh, then turn the mango 90° and slice more parallel lines, so you create a checkerboard effect.
- Next, push the mango skin to turn the mango ‘inside out’ and voila! You’ve now created a mango hedgehog.
- Slice mango cheeks following the instructions above and create that 'checkerboard effect'.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh out from the skin to create mango chunks - perfect to add to a fresh summer salad or to freeze for the winter months.
NO-MESS MANGO CHEEKS
- Repeat steps 1-2 of the ‘mango hedgehog’ instructions.
- Using a small glass, slide the mango cheek down the rim of the glass so it separates the skin on the outside and the flesh on the inside! You will now have a whole mango cheek - watch the video below to see it in action!
- Using a sharp knife or peeler, remove the skin from the mango flesh.
- Place the peeled mango on a skewer or stick
- Working your way around the mango, use a sharp knife to slice ‘petal’ chunks away from the fruit, careful not to slice the petals off.
- Repeat step 3 from the outside-in, so your mango is now comprised of petals.
- Now you can eat directly from the stick! (Add salt and chilli flakes for extra flavour!).
Need more inspiration for this fruit of the gods? Check out our best recipes below: